The Leaning Tower of Pisa is the most important monument of Piazza del Duomo designed together with the Baptistery by the architect Diotisalvi. The Tower hangs because the land sold in the early stages of construction.
The Cathedral of Pisa, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, is the most authoritative example of Pisan Romanesque art with elements of the classical tradition. Norman, Byzantine, Paleochristian and Arab, it gave birth to an original style that anticipated the Florentine Renaissance. The Cathedral started in 1064 testifies to the prestige and authority of the Maritime Republic. P>
The Baptistery of Pisa started in 1153 is the largest in Italy, by the architect Diotisalvi, the sculptures on the facade they were made by Nicola Pisano and his son Giovanni.
As far as the Monumental Cemetery is concerned, legend has it that the Crusaders brought here the holy land taken on Mount Golgotha. There are buried authoritative figures of Pisan history, currently all the burials are under the arches. In the Lungarni, streets that line the Arno river, they wind important buildings, dating back to medieval epoch: Palazzo dei Medici, Palazzo Toscanelli and the Church of San Matteo.
The National Museum of San Matteo in Pisa collects works from the main ecclesiastical buildings of the city from the early Middle Ages to the sixteenth century. More than two hundred paintings of Tuscan art between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries and important testimonies of illuminated manuscripts
Museo delle Sinopie was built in 1257 by Giovanni di Simone. Most of the sinopias exhibited come from the Monumental Cemetery in the museum following a serious fire a following the bombardments of the Second World War and to save and preserve the works and the frescoes it was decided to remove them from the walls and to put them on the panels, in detaching these works numerous sinopias were found. P>
Chiesa della Spina The church originates from a small oratory built on the edge of the Arno in 1230 and took the name "della Spina" when the relic of a thorn from the crown of Christ was placed inside it in 1333. In 1871 it was dismantled and rebuilt higher to avoid flooding and damage from the Arno Inside you can admire the beautiful Madonna of the Rose by Andrea and Nino Pisano.
Bridge game The Gioco del Ponte is a historical festival, which takes place every year on the last Saturday of June on the Ponte di Mezzo in Pisa. Before the challenge between the districts of Mezzogiorno and Tramontana (pushing a trolley on rails towards the side of the bridge of the adversaries) the historical procession takes place in a 16th century Spanish style. The procession winds along the four streets that line the central part of the Arno river. P>
Luminara The evocative luminary of San Ranieri takes place every year on the evening of June 16th. The luminaria is a historical manifestation in the context of the Pisan June. According to an ancient tradition, Pisa celebrates, with this unique wax illumination of all the buildings in the central area that runs along the Arno river, the feast of the patron saint San Ranieri on 17 June, in the evening. P>
Historical Regatta of the Maritime Republics The historical regatta of the Maritime Republics is a sporting event, established in 1955, with the aim of recalling the wartime exploits and rivalry of the most famous Italian Maritime Republics: Amalfi, Pisa, Genoa and Venice. During this regatta four rowing crews, representing each of the Maritime Republics, challenge each other after the historical procession. Between the end of May and the beginning of July every 4 years
Tuscany Florence: 1 hour by train or car, Carrara Marble Quarries: 1 hour by train or car, Siena and San Gimignano: 2 hours by train or car, Volterra: 1½ hour by train or car, Cinque Terre: 1 hour by train or car. P>